Apply to become a Children’s Services Authorised Officer

Apply to become a Children’s Services Authorised Officer

Play a key role in regulating early childcare education and care services as an authorised officer in the Department of Education.

About the role

The Department of Education is looking for 10 x VPS4 Children’s Services Authorised Officers to join the team.

The role of an authorised officer is a rewarding job and dynamic experience. You’ll have the opportunity to visit care services and engage with people in the community.

In the role, you’ll:

  • monitor early childhood education and care services
  • enforce compliance
  • conduct regulatory activities, for example service visits
  • investigate incidents and complaints
  • provide advice and guidance.

Learn more about what authorised officers do

The Quality Assessment and Regulation Division (QARD) is hosting two information sessions for potential applicants to learn more about the roles.

Register here

You’ll learn what authorised officers do and:

  • the different locations and regions they work in
  • the benefits of the role
  • the skills and experience required.

We’ll also share resources and links to support your application. 

The roles and responsibilities of an Authorised Officer are set out in the Education and Care Services National Law Act 2010 (National Law) and the Victorian Children’s Services Act 1996 (Children’s Services Act) and relevant regulations.

To express your interest, email us at

Who we’re looking for

We’re looking for someone who:

  • is self-motivated and can work in a team
  • has strong communication skills
  • can communicate with a range of stakeholders
  • can manage sensitive matters, investigations and complaints
  • can respond to issues and changing priorities in a busy, risk-based environment
  • has a strong understanding of the National Law and Children’s Services Act.

How to apply

We have 10 x VPS4 Children’s Services Authorised Officer advertised across Victoria.

If you’re interested and able to work in more than one region, you’ll need to apply for each one separately.